You have heard us recommend that you outsource your work to the Philippines. So, why the Philippines and why Filipinos?
I may not be the best person to write about this. No wait, on second thought, I think I am. Shameless promotion of my country, race, and trade aside, I seriously believe that the Philippines is the best country you can outsource your work to. And why do I think that? Let me count the ways…
- Filipinos are the best English-speakers in Southeast Asia – I even daresay that Filipinos are the best English-speakers in Asia. The Philippines was an American-administered territory from 1898 until 1946 and was the site of American air and naval installations until 1991. Because of this, the country is heavily influenced by the American culture and language. English is the primary language of instruction in schools. It is not difficult to find a Filipino that speaks very good English with little to no trace of a native accent.
- Most Filipinos are well-educated – College education in the Philippines is relatively cheap and since you can never find a decent job in the country unless you graduate with a degree, a lot of Filipino students go to and finish college. The educational standard in the Philippines is also competitive with other more developed countries and in fact, the country is seeing an influx of foreign students from neighboring Asian countries like Korea and China.
- Filipinos love to please other people – Sometimes, to a fault. Filipinos will put other people’s needs over their own. If they have a guest in their home, they will give the guest the best room, the best linen, never mind if they end up sleeping on the floor. Seriously. Filipinos are weird that way. Maybe that’s what our ancestors hammered into our subconscious. We reserve the best china for guests and use cheap, ordinary dinnerware the rest of the time. My point is, if you hire a Filipino, they will do what you ask them to do to the best of their abilities because they would want to please you.
- Filipinos are very loyal – Treat them well and you will have a worker who will be willing to work with you until they are no longer able to. Hiring a Filipino will lower your worker turnover.
- Filipinos are familiar with Western business practices – Business practices in the Philippines are very similar to Western business practices, it is almost eerie. However, being an American colony for almost 50 years, it is hardly surprising. And did I mention that our accounting and legal systems are similar to America’s as well?
- Filipinos have lower wages – I did save the best reason to hire a Filipino for last. Filipino wages are, on an average, only about 12% of American wages for the same area of practice. That in itself is reason enough why a lot of work is being outsourced to our country and perhaps, you should too.
Now, it’s time for my shameless promotion: Whenever you decide to outsource work, do think of Filipinos and the Philippines first.