One of the more common jobs being posted online nowadays are for article writing. If you know how to write in English (remember your high school and college essays?), you may have the potential to write an effective article. An article is considered effective if people read them and like doing so. The following are some tips on how you could write an effective article:
- Do your research – Before you even attempt to write an article about a topic, you have to do some research. No matter how familiar you seem to be about something, it still pays to refresh yourself by reading about it. You don’t want to run the risk of getting your facts wrong. This is especially true if you are dealing with facts and figures. You have to include figures from the latest studies and for the correct demographics. Even if you are writing an opinionated article, it would still help to do your research.
- Start with a good title – A good article should start with an equally good title. No matter how good your article is, if your title is bad, you will be hard pressed to have people read the rest of the stuff you wrote. Remember the saying “don’t judge a book by it’s cover”? While it could be true, I have always believed that it will be difficult to convince people to open the book if the cover is not that good. If you could be bothered to write a good book, why can’t you be bothered to make a good cover?
- Break your article down into shorter paragraphs – Ever seen an article with very long paragraphs? Did you want to read it? Long paragraphs remind me of text books. I don’t like reading text books. Do you? Break your article down into smaller bite-size pieces. It helps to make use of bullets and numbers.
- Keep your audience captivated – Catch the attention of your readers and strive to keep their attention throughout your article. Write your article the way you’d want to read them. Use examples, descriptions, metaphors, and similes to get your point across. Try to make your article as an enjoyable read as possible.
- Whenever necessary, quote facts and figures – Including tables, graphs, and numbers lends an aura of authority to your articles. However, you have to be careful not to overdo the figures. You don’t want to give your readers a nosebleed with information overload.
By starting with a good topic and following the above-mentioned tips, you will be well on your way to writing an effective article.